The Spencer Fire Department serves a community of just under 12,000 residents within 34 square miles and 130 +/_ miles of roadway from two fire stations. One located at 11 West Main Street which is the Main Station and a second location at 167 North Spencer Road, at Saint Joseph’s Abbey. This station has been in place since the Abbey moved here to primarily service the Abbey. In the 1980s, the Abbey obtained a former FDNY pumper and became more of a part of the Fire Department, as they used this truck to respond to numerous calls. Unfortunately, the Abbey's declining membership has led the Abbey department to fall by the wayside. By 2002, there were only two members left and the truck was going unused. Chief Parsons worked with the Abbey to allow us to utilize the 1972 Mack as a spare fire engine up until 2016 when the tank on the truck failed. A newer vehicle has been obtained and now a 1987 Ford/Maxim from the Town of East Brookfield sits in the Abbey station for use by the two monks and a small number of Spencer Firefighters that live in the area.
The Spencer Fire Department established in 1831, now consisting of the following in the year 2017:
1 Full time Chief
1 on call Deputy Chief
4 Companies which consist of 8 on call firefighters, an on call Captain and an on call Lieutenant.
1 on call Chaplain
1 P/T Clerk
1 P/T Custodian
1 on call Photographer
We average between 400-500 fire calls per year. We do not provide EMS for the community as the Town is contracted with Spencer Rescue and Emergency Squad for EMS.